Fire destroys art studio, years of art work lost


    Firefighters were unable to stop a fire in time from destroying years of art work in a Stillwater art studio.

    The owner of the studio, Robert Bender, said it used to be a barn.

    "We've been here since 1994 doing our artwork. I do children's books and sculpture and Christina does sculpture and we have both old word and current work that we were doing that was supposed to be for upcoming shows for both of us. So we lost both the building and the contents," said Bender.

    Bender believes it started from a water heater that sprung a leaked and caused a short circuit to set fire.

    "It was scary because the trees caught fire. You know, so my reaction was to go down to the house, get them out of bed, wake them up, say there's a fire, and then get our animals out of the house in case it spread. That was my first thought, to get the kids and the animals out," said Christina Bothwell.

    The fire department was able to contain the fire and keep it from spreading to their home down the hill.

    "I was even worried that it might travel down to the house," added Bender.

    Bender tells FOX56 a firefighter cut his hand on the siding of the building and needed stitches. No one else was reported injured.

    According to the property owners, the building is a complete loss.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...