Police: Man jailed after girlfriend's homicide


MOUNT CARMEL, NORTHUMBERLAND COUNTY (WOLF) -- A man is in jail after police say his live-in girlfriend was found dead outside their home.

After officers forced their way into the home, they say they found her boyfriend and their child.

When they arrived this morning, police say a second-floor window was open, and the screen was lying on the ground.

Nearby, they say they found a woman who paramedics were working on, but she could not be revived.

Police wouldn't say exactly how they believe she died, except that it is a homicide.

"I love Penny," says Robert Thurner, 34, on the way to the back of a police car. "Yes I do and my son."

Thurner was led out of the Mount Carmel police station before 7 p.m. Friday. He's being held on a probation violation.

Police say they were called around 7:30 a.m. to the home Thurner shared with Penny Mansfield, 38, in the 200 block of West Second Street.

"I received a call for a medical call at that location for a cardiac arrest," says police Chief Christopher Buhay. "On arrival, it was not a cardiac arrest. EMS had been summoned and determined that the female was deceased. She was found in the rear yard."

In a search warrant affidavit, police say Mansfield was laying face up, with injuries to her head and face area.

The chief forced his way in where he found Thurner, and their 3-year-old boy inside, Buhay said.

"Just shocking. I feel bad for the little boy," says neighbor Jamie Weaver. "He was in there. He came out and stayed with my neighbor for a little while this was going on."

Police say there was blood on the rear screen door, and they learned that people heard yelling and screaming around 9:30 p.m. Thursday night, and during the overnight period. The couple both have prior records.

"His probation is out of Montgomery County," says Buhay. "He's supervised by Northumberland County. The stabbing incident was her, she was the defendant in that for allegedly stabbing him."

Court records show that case from last Feburary was still pending at the time of Mansfield's death.

In the 2016 incident, according to published reports, police said Mansfield stabbed Thurner twice with a steak knife at the same home.

"I have occasionally when I've been out, I've spoken with 'em," says Weaver, who moved in this year. "She was just always very pleasant and cheerful. She was a very nice lady."

"They were yelling. There was a car window was broken," says neighbor Helen Homolovich. "A couple of times they were fighting in the street and whatnot and it would get pretty bad. Never in a thousand years did we think anything like this."

Thurner was being taken to the Columbia County Prison. Police say it is a homicide but he has not been charged, and is only being held on the probation violation at this time.

"I'm definitely a little bit in shock over the whole thing," says Homolovich.

Police say the boy has been taken by CYS. Police cleared the scene tonight and the coroner says an autopsy has been scheduled for Monday morning.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off