Home heating dangers as temperatures drop
If you've stepped outside, you know it's cold.
Many will crank up the heat this weekend.
But before you do, a warning from experts.
It all began yesterday when the Mayernick family woke up to a freezing cold house.
It seemed their heater malfunctioned.
That wasn't the only issue.
On Friday, they learned their home was slowly poisoning them.
"We have some carbon monoxide coming out of our furnace. So, it's just a little more than not heat. Now, it's become a safety issue,” Wendy Mayernick said.
Mayernick considers herself and her family one of the lucky ones.
"You're just very concerned you can go to sleep and not wake up. Because you wasn’t prepared for that. You don't think it's going to happen to you,” she added.
But it did.
Mayernick and her family -- like many others -- are turning up the heat as temperatures continue to drop.
"It came on, but then it just, during the night we had no heat. So, when we woke up the house was like 60 degrees. So, it was freezing. Of course, with the weather change,” she said.
So they called Wayne Pisanchyn to come out and take a look at the heater in the basement.
"Did some tests and found out there is carbon monoxide spilling to the upstairs of the home,” Pisanchyn said.
Pisanchyn, who owns a plumbing, heating, and air-conditioning company, says we could see more carbon monoxide issues as more people turn up their heat.
But there are steps you can take to keep your family safe.
"This house here did not have carbon monoxide detectors, unfortunately,” he said.
"At Wayne's advice, something we should have done when we purchased the home. We went out and bought a carbon monoxide detector. So, I would say anyone that does not have one, should definitely have them. Just to save your life,” Mayernick said.
It could have been much worse had they not called Wayne to fix their heater.
So, until the issues resolved they'll be slightly inconvenienced.
"We're going to have to go and find somewhere else to stay for a few days,” Mayernick said.
But it's a small price to pay considering what could have happened.
"We don't know what could have happened if it continued to escalate. We could have potentially been in real danger. It's terrifying. It's absolutely terrifying,” she added.
As the temperatures drop this season, Pisanchyn says people may get frozen pipes, which can burst and cause water damage.
So, it's best to be prepared and prevent these issues from happening.